Self Defense for Women: 8 tips that could save a life.
The potential to become a victim of a crime is a very real threat to the health and security of all women, regardless of their age or where they live. These threats are varied and include sexual assault, domestic violence, or assault in general. The best way for women to protect themselves is through caution and learning self-defense techniques that can deter or fend off an attacker. If approached by a person who attempts to touch or grab them, women should know what actions are most likely to help them escape. It is important to always be carrying an alarm that can be used to attract the attention of anyone who may be within earshot and to scare the attacker off. Be sure to always carry the alarm with pepper spray.
- Always be aware of one’s surroundings, particularly when walking alone or in isolated locations such as parking garages or lots at night. This involves paying complete attention to what is happening and not talking on the phone or listening to music until a secure and safe location has been reached. One should avoid dark or empty areas where there’s little foot traffic and be cautious of individuals who seem out of place, uncomfortable, or otherwise suspicious. Additionally, it is just as important to walk with confidence and make eye contact as opposed to appearing timid or afraid.
- Never give personal information to a stranger, especially a man you do not know. You don’t owe anyone any information about you. Do not tell men where you live, work, visit, or anything about your routine. If you are interested in developing new relationships, meet in public places and in groups until he is no longer a stranger and trust has been built.
- Set strong boundaries! Verbal skills are an effective self-defense tool, one you are likely to use more frequently and successfully than any physical technique. When a predator engages you in conversation, he is actually "interviewing" you to see if you would be a good victim. An experienced attacker is practiced at using his words to freeze you with fear, thus reducing the chance that you will try to defend yourself. Although an aggressive verbal confrontation can be terrifying, you must be strong enough to show the attacker he has picked the wrong victim. If you stand tall, remain calm, and respond confidently and assertively, you'll probably "fail" his interview. The power of your voice alone can cause him to seek an easier target.
- AVOID THE STUPIDS! Avoid stupid places, in stupid times, with stupid people. Do not go running by yourself down a secluded nature trail with your headphones in while wearing revealing clothing. This is the trifecta of stupidity. Sadly, there are bad people everywhere. AVOID putting yourself in a position where your guard is down, you are with people who do not have your best interest, or are out during the late hours of the night to the early hours of the morning.
- Pay attention to your drinks! When you are out, do not drink any drinks that you have not seen being mixed or poured. So, many times, women get drugged and then attacked because they take drinks from strangers. It does not matter if you are at a bar, a house party, or a huge party, always make sure you are paying attention to what you are putting into your body. Don’t trust people, you don’t want to take that chance and then regret it for the rest of your life. All drinks you need to get from a waiter or the bartender that is how it needs to be to stay safe. If someone buys you a drink walk with them to buy it and watch everything. You have the bartender hand you the drink, not give it to the guy to give to you.
- TRUST YOUR GUT! Many victims can feel the attack coming before it came. You might feel it in your gut or have a strange feeling that someone is following you. Your subconscious can often notice warning signs that your conscious brain misses. Learn to listen to your gut.
- Know where to attack! There two types of responses to an altercation fight or flight and we always want you to take flight over fighting. Sometimes you are cornered and need to fight back so you should know where to attack your attacker. The first place to strike is the throat because it is a weak part of every person’s body and if they can’t breathe they cannot come after you. The next place is to aim for the eyes with an eye poke or gouge. If you can spray them with pepper spray or scratch their eyes, it will make it so much harder for them to continue to attack you. Use your nails, or your pepper spray and injury their eyes to blur their vision. Also, it is always a good idea to punch, kick, or knee men in the groin. This causes them much pain and may halt their movement for a moment. Remember these things and plan accordingly.
- Start training so you can defend yourself. This is an important piece, but the prior self-defense tips for women are more essential than this. Ambush predators with weapons and testosterone and who do not fight fair, so don’t give too much credit to the old kick to the groin and punch while your car keys are between your fingers. Take a self-defense class, carry pepper spray, and an alarm that can draw attention to you and scare your attacker away. We recommend carrying: VEXOR® Spray Guard Pepper Spray w/ Personal Alarm. You can check out all of our self-defense products here: Zarc's Self Defense Products.
Women's self-defense is something every woman should know. Not only will these tips and defense weapons help you to protect yourself, but knowing that you're equipped to protect yourself will increase your confidence and strength as well.
Happy International Women's Day! Enjoy 10% off our Spray Guard 14 keychain pepper spray! Use Promo code W0321 at check out! Valid March 8th-22nd.